Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam...

     Our 2 year old, Ruby, just adores her recordings and videos of children singing songs about Jesus.  Many of them are songs I grew up on. In fact, when I picked up a copy of Wee Sing Bible Songs at Barnes and Noble and popped it into the CD player for her, I couldn't believe it as the words o every song came flooding out of my mouth as I sang along. I looked at the fine print and realized I had chosen a reissue of the very same recording my grandmother played for me in 1986! My grandmother, Rita, had a huge influence on my faith and the formation of who I am. She believed that young children could learn biblical truths and scripture memory from music just as easily as we learn our ABC's and the Itsy Bitsy Spider. She was right! The words to those songs were ingrained in my memory, and now I get to enjoy them with my children! Come back soon to see a more in-depth review of some of my favorite (and not-so-favorite) recordings of Bible songs for kids!
    I have been amazed at what great teaching tools these simple songs are. For weeks, Ruby has bounded about the house joyfully chanting and singing the words of Proverb 17:22:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine,
 but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."


When she is getting fussy or complaining, I remind her of this song and we sing it together or talk about what it means to have a cheerful heart. It's a simple message that even a 2 year old can grasp, but as I find myself humming the repetitive and catchy melody throughout the day, I know it is also a scripture God is laying in my own heart. It is so easy to be overwhelmed by life with 2 little ones, or to get caught up in everything that isn't going my way in life. I have no secrets about the fact that I have wrestled with depression throughout my life. However, I do think God has blessed me with an optimistic spirit. I've been called a Pollyanna, a dreamer, an idealist, and optimist.... it is ironic to me that for someone who tries to look at life through rose-colored glasses, such darkness can sometimes overtake my existence. Which is why I love another song from my childhood that has resurfaced in Ruby's music... "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam". It's a sweet little tune that reminds me that I am called to be Christ's light in this world, "to shine for Him each day..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you're teaching Ruby songs like these! One of my favorites from my own childhood that I sang to my children was "Let the Sunshine In". As you might guess, it was about the battle to keep the darkness out of our lives! Music is a great addition to the toolbox our children will need to manage their lives well.